Right now is the perfect time to take a moment and beat the heat with a delicious and healthy treat. As temperatures rise (summer's not over yet!) our bodies have to work harder to keep cool. That's why it's important to eat foods that are high in electrolytes that help your body restore much needed fluids, amino acids, and sugar. We asked food blogger LiveLaughYUM! for her favorite healthy and sweet snack for warm summer days.
Banana Split Popsicles
Treat yourself these last few weeks of summer with a banana split popsicle! I used frozen banana and almond milk for a creamy, frozen texture along with dark chocolate and a maraschino cherry at the bottom! This frozen treat is not only delicious... but it also packs some health benefits:
- bananas are high in potassium
- bananas help digestive health
- despite a banana's sweet taste, it has a relatively low glycemic index (good for diabetes)
- bananas help overcome depression and improves mood
- bananas and dark chocolate contain antioxidants
- both bananas and dark chocolate aid in weight loss dark chocolate can help reduce stress
…and on that note... here's the recipe!
RECIPE: (makes 5 popsicles)
- 3 frozen bananas
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 5 maraschino cherries
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate morsels or chunks
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- rainbow sprinkles
- popsicle molds and popsicle sticks
- place frozen bananas and almond milk in a blender and blend until smooth - if it's too thick to pour, add more almond milk
- pour mixture into popsicle molds
- place one maraschino cherry in each mold on either side - don't push it down, it will sink as it freezes - you want to be able to see it after putting chocolate over each popsicle!
- cover each mold in foil and insert popsicle sticks
- freeze for at least 4 hours or overnight
- run each popsicle mold under warm water and gently pull the popsicle out
- place each on a cookie sheet covered in wax paper
- put chocolate chunks and coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl
- microwave for 30 seconds and stir - repeat until all is melted and smooth
note: I used coconut oil because of it's ability to harden at a colder temperature, creating a chocolate "shell"
- pour chocolate over each popsicle, then add sprinkles
- freeze for 5 minutes
- remove from freezer and do the same on the other side of the popsicles
Freeze for another 5 minutes and enjoy!